SkwalZone

Obi One's Feet-clock

From method to the skwal gear, here's the place!

Moderator: WebTeam

Obi One's Feet-clock

Postby sabestian » 23 Nov 2011 01:32

Thanks to Obi One's Tecnica-Skwal we know the concept of feet-clock model.

While skwheeling I was working on understanding it and applying it. Of course it is a model, a representation of direction of impulses that happen when we translate our thoughts into motion.

There is something bothering me. Should the pressure be simultaniousely spread over the corresponding numbers on both feet equally? I mean, for example, at the finish of a left turn both feet at 1? Or should all the pressure go to a front foot at 1?

I feel like there should be one big clock containing both feet, not two separate ones for each of them. A picture speaks a thousand words:

And this results in a completely different way of distributing weight - flowing between feet actually (I feel I ride the skwheel this way):

I would like to open a discussion and analise what we have here. I would especially appreciate Obi One to give his view on this.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Re: Obi One's Feet-clock

Postby obi one » 24 Nov 2011 08:32

Hi Sebastian
good observation, your picture n. 2 recalls what Patrick Thias has described in its wonderful book "The Inner Glide". What you described with one single big clock has been developed some years ago by Thias...and as I wrote in my Tecnica-Skwal manual I took great inspiration from his full writings on the argument. In fact my feet-clock is an interpretation of his ideas.

differences: the big clock (like yours or Patrick's one) is actually a "body-clock" where the centre point of pressure is in between the feet in the centre of the skwal (aproximately)...your centre of gravity runs from that point.

my feet-clock instead keep two centre points of pressure under the feet plantar arcs. At the time of writing my little manual I studied this argument for weeks...thinking how Thias was considering so important the feet as the roots always in connection with the surface...I then considered to keep the centre of gravity attached to both feet.

there are implications about this point...and I will describe it later on... : )
obi one
Advanced Member

Postby obi one » 24 Nov 2011 16:10

..the implication is, in my opinion, that two centres of gravity, my feet-clock, instead of a single one, Thias' body-clock, could be more reliable on snow where the surface changes, and sometime rapidly (bumps). Instead, in skwheeling it might me more appropriate and proficient a single centre of gravity (the body-clock). This is in theory... :D

my personal feeling is that "I want to feel both roots (feet) interacting with the snow at any time", and this means that any skwal turn pass by both feet. I need to conentrate on both feet at any time on snow. On the opposite if I decide to concentrate on the body-clock I will inevitably over-bend forward, backwards or sideways. the result is that I will end to put too much wheight on a single foot insted af keeping my wheight ALWAYS disgtributed on BOTH feet.... and again...this is in theory, but in practice it is my skwal style.... :)

Obi One
obi one
Advanced Member

Postby sabestian » 24 Nov 2011 18:19

I was waiting very impatiently for your say. Superb explanation, Obi One.

Some time ago I bought 'The Inner Glide" but haven't found time to read it, just browsed through a few pages. Seems like I will have to go back to it and read the whole lot.

In my observation both 'clocks' can be performed at the same time as they can be treated separately. But at the same time they have to be coordinated. I noticed this riding skwheel. While you can easily shift and adjust your weight over the board in accordance with 'body-clock' you can also choose the pressure points that this weight is directed the board. You can easily feel that when you are for example on 11 hours with your 'body-clock' you should be on 11 hours with your 'feet-clocks' as well. If you are not - you loose control and bail out. It is very clear on asphalt ;)

When you want to lead the board with your body, you should first move your 'body-clock' to the next-in-line position, and then follow with your 'feet-clocks'. I am not sure if I am right here, but it seems to be the key.

When riding skwheel, one can really feel what is happening. There are much less variables involved (snow quality, less speed, more 'direct' feel). It is a fantastic tool, I highly recommend making it to any skwaller.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby obi one » 24 Nov 2011 19:37

yes I suppose you are right, both clocks can be coordinated in the same flow of actions...best thing to do now is to give it a try :) Let's test both clocks on snow, and road...

what is very interesting in your writing is the following:

"anticipating with the body clock into the next in-line position"....this anticiaption has implications....especially in GS slalom races....I will let yuo know...

Obi One
obi one
Advanced Member

Postby sabestian » 24 Nov 2011 21:52

It is very interesting to hear your view. I hope to be testing these ideas on snow in two weeks time, I'm going to Italy. It is a snowboard training in Val di Sole, but I hope to spend some time on skwal, too! Till then I will read "The Inner Glide", and ride the skwheel...
sabestian
Advanced Member

Return to Technical discussions