SkwalZone

Bindings

Talk about anything you want, but try to keep appropriate topics.

Moderator: WebTeam

Bindings

Postby sabestian » 14 Jan 2012 17:25

I am looking into the market of skwal bindings, in step-in flavour.

I would like to summarize what I know and gather knowledge for others as well, for future reference.

There are not a lot of options of quality bindigs:

1. Bomber TD3 Skwal (too wide... the plate of the binding is actually 13.5cm!, the canting disc is 11cm)
2. Modified Catek OS2 (cutting of the base plate involved, risk of oxidation or wastign 350 dollahs...)
3. Phiokka SKW F12
4. Phiokka SKW with canting plate
5. ...

Anything else that I did not mention?

Anyone compared the PHK F12 and SKW bindings? Are there any benefits of one of them? I can see that F12 cannot be freely rotated around to set angle (this may be a problem for riders that like to have odd angles).
sabestian
Advanced Member

Re: Bindings

Postby gigabass » 17 Jan 2012 09:18

bomber td3 skwal is 11.5cm according to their website. (http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Skwal-binding_p_124.html).
modified catek os2 should work, there is someone in the frozen-backside forum using this setup (i have not personally seen it).

mpride also sells a stepin (listed under accessories on their site)

in case you have a spare alpine snowboard stepin (f2) you may also be able to put the f2 adapters on your regular skwal binding, or do a simple version on your own (see this thread : http://www.skwalzone.org//forums3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3469, pictures at the gallery : http://www.skwalzone.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=18788).
gigabass

Postby sabestian » 17 Jan 2012 10:34

They are not "exact" on the bomber site. The footprint is 11.5 cm but it is the canting disk. The base plate, as I wrote, is 13.5cm and it may stick out... but I haven't tried it on skwal, it may not be a problem.

Your project looks good, it is similiar to what I have in mind.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby Mattias R » 18 Jan 2012 15:49

I also have a new binding that is going into production as we spek. Www.r-a-d.se It has elastomer damping, 360 degree rotation and has about 105 mm footprint. Price EUR 350.
I will be in les Contamines 21-25 January and in Zinal 25-29 January if you are in the neighborhood... :P
Mattias R

Postby sabestian » 18 Jan 2012 17:02

Looks very interesting! A few questions:

1. What is the total width (not the footprint, but the total accross the widest part of the binding)?
2. Any pictures of the different angles?
3. Is the contact surface (with the board) round elastomer? What is the hardness?
4. What are the lifts available?
5. What is in the package?
6. Metal wire instead of toe bail... no risk of boot damage?
7. What is the warranty?

Should be enough for starters... :mrgreen:
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby Skwaler » 18 Jan 2012 17:15

gigabass wrote:modified catek os2 should work, there is someone in the frozen-backside forum using this setup (i have not personally seen it)..

that´s me :mrgreen:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8366/p1120415f.jpg
also here in the galarie section buy someone else: http://www.skwalzone.org/gallery2/main. ... temId=1516

sabestian wrote:2. Modified Catek OS2 (cutting of the base plate involved, risk of oxidation or wastign 350 dollahs...)

my setup is in the 6th season, no problems.
and you can also buy the disks without a binding, thats what i made in case if i sell the binding i don´t have to sell a "destroyed" plate. if i remember rightly it wasn´t 50$ for the two disks.

sabestian wrote:They are not "exact" on the bomber site. The footprint is 11.5 cm but it is the canting disk. The base plate, as I wrote, is 13.5cm and it may stick out... but I haven't tried it on skwal, it may not be a problem.

i also know somebody who modified the plate buy cutting of a few mm on the side. but he needed to do this to get the skwal model on a narrow snowboard, so i think it won´t work with a skwal.
Skwaler

Postby gigabass » 19 Jan 2012 19:48

strange that they call it td3 SKWAL then. totally misleading. 13.5cm won't fit on any skwal. fortunately i didn't order one.
gigabass

Postby mchg » 16 Feb 2012 12:27

check out our complete new binding, cuted from one block of titanal... Unibody Binding, extremly direct feeling!! 8)

Click on our shop > Unibody Binding at http://www.mpride.net/

best regards

Martin
mchg

Postby sabestian » 16 Feb 2012 13:41

They look like Phiokka with F2 parts bolted on.

Absolutely not that it is a bad thing at all! :D I know couple of riders who did just that.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby sabestian » 04 Sep 2012 09:25

Just wanted to share some more info with fellow skwallers. I think I found near perfect skwal bindings. Nothing new, it is Catec OS2. I cut the base plate to fit my MR 173, put cork shock absorbers underneath and voila. These are step in version BTW.

What I can tell you is that the input transfer from my body to the board is phenomenal. It is so direct, no delay at all.

Another benefit is the infinite angle/cant/lift you can set on these. My technique benefited so much when I added lateral (outward) canting that I could not believe it. It is worth exploring, as not many experienced riders recommend it and I thoroughly disagree now!

The only problem I have is with stepping in, the snow gets jammed under the heal. I will work on that this winter.

Totally worth (a lot) of money.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Return to General Discussions