SkwalZone

What boots are you riding?

Talk about anything you want, but try to keep appropriate topics.

Moderator: WebTeam

What boots are you riding?

Postby sabestian » 28 Dec 2011 15:51

Recently I noticed, how replacing soft tongues with hard racing ones in my Raichle 125 (ACSS) helps with skwaling. This made me think that perhaps it would be a good idea to replace them with newer, stiffer snowboard boots (maybe UPZ RC10?). I need soft hardboots for my snowboarding needs anyway, so this would mean two pairs for me.

I remembered someone here writing that he uses ski boots as they are stiffer than snowboard boots. Unfortunately, I can't find that post any more. Ski boots are also considerably cheaper when comparing same level of technology used. Of course, you cannot go step in with them but I can live with that for now.

So... what are you using, guys?
sabestian
Advanced Member

Re: What boots are you riding?

Postby avante » 28 Dec 2011 17:07

I've tried to skwal in my ski boots. Boots are quite stiff (9 out of 10 on manufacturers scale) with medium-high cuff. It was horrible =) Completely no lateral flex, there is no easy way to control the height of your stand. Though you can incline your bindings properly with different inserts to have acceptable shins angles, or you can just buckle your rear foot looser than the front one, there are still lots of issues.

Now I use Stratos Pro boots with Intuition Power Wrap liners and medium Booster straps - feels great.
avante

Postby Zarkod » 28 Dec 2011 17:42

I use ski boots and I have no lateral flex, and that is just what i expect ;) I'm quite satisfied with the precision I get on the rear foot like that.
I leave the rear boot buclke loose as you say otherwise it is just too unconfortable.
:: Thias FC180, SK200, 173°F, RS176 carbone, FC165 ::
Visit skwalzone.org!
only skwal makes it possible!
Zarkod
High Rank Member

Postby gigabass » 28 Dec 2011 17:49

i have the upz rc 10 since last year and they felt very comfortable on both skwal and alpine snowboard. i didn't try skiboots on skwal yet. the upz are stiffer than my old raichle, but still flexible enough even on the snowboard.
the upz is a very good boot in my opinion, very good heel fit, also recommended by many hardbooters in other forums (like frozen backside eg., where you can find a lot of threads about the upz, but mostly in german).
gigabass

Postby sabestian » 29 Dec 2011 10:25

Interesting... so many different opinions. Perhaps it has something to do with riding style?

To be honest, the more I look into the market of ski boots, the more surprised I am with the large choice and low prices (new and used!). In snowboard departament we have two or three models and we have to live with poor-to-moderate fit, try all the heat moldable liners, punching, orthotics etc to make the shells fit well.

From among the ski boots there are dozens of models to choose from... One can get a perfectly fitting boots right from the shelf. I have tried about 10 pairs yesterday and was very surprised with a good fit of Tecnica and Salomon models.

It is frustrating after all the work (and money!) I had to do to make the Raichle comfortable! :evil:

I have read a few threads on http://www.bomberonline.com, where carvers claim to use ski boots even for hardboot snowboarding, for racing and carving. Dalbello mainly. Will have to try them on, I am too curious to leave it like that! :mrgreen:

If only I could afford RC10... If they fit me, of course... :roll:
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby avante » 29 Dec 2011 10:53

sabestian wrote:Interesting... so many different opinions. Perhaps it has something to do with riding style?

In my case it is just about the level of skwalling, I am still a novice and I really need my boots to be flexible (I don't need ski boots stiffness yet) :)
avante

Postby gigabass » 29 Dec 2011 12:47

a big advantage of snowboard boots in my opinion is the option to use stepin bindings (at least i haven't yet seen skiboots with intec adapters yet). i don't want to miss the comfort of stepin bindings anymore.
gigabass

Postby sabestian » 30 Dec 2011 00:04

Another sport shop and another dozen of ski boots tried on. It is just astounding how skiers are spoiled with choice. There are more models on the market than any salesman would ever care remember... They are comfy, high, pleasantly laterally stiff... What's more to ask? Apart from step-in, obviously...

I am buying a pair of used boots with heat moldable liners, they won't cost me much at all. Definitely worth the risk. Will report back on the feel in 2 weeks!
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby Zarkod » 30 Dec 2011 08:23

don't forget to loosen the back foot or pain may come quickly.
:: Thias FC180, SK200, 173°F, RS176 carbone, FC165 ::
Visit skwalzone.org!
only skwal makes it possible!
Zarkod
High Rank Member

Postby sabestian » 14 Jan 2012 17:18

It did not work out as I planned... But using stiffier boots (changing from Raichle 125 to Burton Wind) I did feel a lot of improvement.

The step-in argument is valid. The project is closed :lol:
sabestian
Advanced Member

Return to General Discussions